Cannes Film Festival - 2006

A journal of my experiences at the Cannes Film Festival in May, 2006.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Bonjour!

***Luckily, my friend Jean-Luc was nice enough to correctly translate "rognons" for me. It is not goat testicles, as I thought, but goat kidney. Very different! However, I thought I was eating the former, so you can read my reaction below.***

-----------------------------------------------------

Hello, all. I am slowly getting settled in Juan-les-Pins (between Antibes and Cannes). I'm actually writing from the laundromat around the corner from my apt. It's one of the only places in town with free wireless Internet. For some reason that strikes me as funny! :)

Emily (my travel buddy and roommate here in JLP) enjoyed three wonderful days in Paris with my friend Marie-Noelle. Marie-Noelle was a foreign exchange student 14 years ago and stayed with my family in NC. I was so happy to see her again! She looks very much the same. Marie-Noelle, along with her boyfriend Jean-Pierre and his daughter Elodie, welcomed us as if we were family.

We arrived in Paris Thursday morning at 8:30 a.m. Marie-Noelle picked us up from the airport and we stayed very busy all day. We were trying to get over the jetlag as quickly as possible, but ended up being awake for 40 straight hours! Needless to say, Emily and I slept very well that night!

Friday, we slept late and spent the day at Jean-Pierre's. We had a lovely afternoon sharing cheese and bread. That night, Jean-Pierre made us a home-cooked meal of chicken breasts with cream and mushrooms (champignons!) and escargots. Everything was delicious!

Saturday, we ate lunch at a very nice French restaurant with Marie-Noelle and her brother, Lionel. Emily had a fish dinner and I had rognons...that translates as, um, goat testicles. :) I have to admit I felt a little awkward eating them, but they were very delicious.

We flew into Nice Saturday night and caught the bus to JLP. We arrived at our new home around 11 pm. After dropping our stuff off, we ventured out for some quiche and pizza from a nearby convenience store.

Today we have done some exploring. We have a welcome dinner tonight on the roof of our apt building. It has been a wonderful trip so far. Everyone in JLP is very nice and very accomodating to American tourists who speak only a little French! It is beautiful and looks exactly as I would want the French Riviera to look.

I will post pictures asap. Peace. Out.

7 Comments:

Blogger Taylor Barriger said...

so freakin cool. I'm envious.

word verification:
(ngayr)
"nothing's getting around your rump"

10:18 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

i can not wait to see pictures. you are living out dream that many of us have always had. keep is well informed. love ya girl!

11:47 AM  
Blogger Barrett said...

sounds like a lot of good food. i know you're having a blast

1:02 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I can't think of any ONE person who has been more intrigued with other cultures and traveling abroad than yourself. How cool to see a high school dream become a reality! Very envious, but super pumped for you!

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,
It's nice to know you are so close.
We are just excited to see you soon in Nîmes, our roman city (more than 2000 years old and lot of roman monuments).
I just love eating "rognos" too. For your information,It is not "goat testicles", but "kidney". It's a little different!!
Ok, have a nice day. Bises. Jean-Luc

3:46 AM  
Blogger Candice of 'The Beautiful Mess' said...

i am SO jealous....sounds like fun...and i almost feel as though i can imagine beign there by your words..please keep us updated...

p.s. your adventure reminds me of the movie Sabrina....

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I am glad you're having a good time!! Sure do wish that we could have had a better French I teacher in high school - probably would have made your trip a little easier with the language translation....
- How cool is it that you get to see Marie-Noelle again??!!
I am very happy with Jean-Luc's update that you did not eat testicles....but just a kidney. Not quite so nautious anymore. Love you and hope to see pictures soon!

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home