Cannes Film Festival - 2006

A journal of my experiences at the Cannes Film Festival in May, 2006.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Lying Review

I sometimes lie to make myself sound smarter or more important than I really am. I lie out of discontent with my real life. I lie because sometimes the truth doesn’t sound cool enough. I lie to cover up some sort of wrong action. I lie to spare others’ feelings. I lie to get out of doing something I’d rather not do. The point is, I lie. We all do. I don’t generally tell any really big whoppers, but the lies are still there, even when I’m not saying anything. My hair lies about its natural color. With the help of eyeliner and tweezers, my eyes and brows lie about their natural shape. To some extent, lies exist all around us. How interesting it would be to explore this idea in a feature film. Interesting, of course, unless the film in question is M Blash’s latest, Lying.

In what was described as a “magical” and “inspiring” script by lead actresses Chloe Sevigny and Jena Malone, Blash manages to make lying seem the most boring activity in which a person could participate.

Megan (Sevigny) has invited four girlfriends to her country house for the weekend. She has recently lost her parents in a tragic accident and needed to get out of the city for a few days. Joining her are Grace (Malone), Linda (Maya Goldsmith), and Hella (Halley Wegryn Gross). Grace and Hella work with Megan. Linda met her in a yoga class.

Over the course of the weekend, the four women bond and share about their lives. Eventually, Grace discovers Megan has been consistently lying about almost everything (for example, her parents are still alive and kicking). Grace, Hella, and Linda are upset by this dishonesty and decide to leave early. When a neighbor (LeeLee Sobieski) stops by to ask why the guests have gone, Megan lies about the reason. Clearly she has a pathological problem.

I had the opportunity to hear M Blash talk about Lying on two separate occasions. He said he was fascinated by the fact that, even though we’re all probably good people, we all lie. Or, at least, we’ve all been lied to. He wanted to explore the different kinds of lying (outright lies, lying by omission, etc.), but also create a movie about silence. The two concepts seem contradictory and do not work well together on the big screen. Though the film clocks in at 92 minutes, the script was only 50 pages long. Considering the time-honored tradition where one page of script equals one minute of screentime, I had a hard time imagining what was going to happen in those other 42 minutes. Apparently, so did Blash. Much of that extra time is spent lingering on Sevigny’s face, or the view from the house, or the mundane movements of characters.

In addition to lacking dialogue, the film also lacks polish. In what seems like an attempt to be “arty” or “indie,” Blash allows shaky camera movement and terrible sound quality to make the final cut. The lines that do exist are so low and muffled, it is hard to make them out. On top of technical issues, the actresses staunchly refuse to enunciate, making it all the more difficult to understand what they are saying.

The film, shot using only natural light, is in many ways beautiful to watch. The palette is muted, even extending to the coloring of the actresses’ skin and hair. All of the characters are oddly dressed alike, but the wardrobe (coming primarily from the closet of Sevigny herself) contributes to the romantic, non-urban, dreamlike tone. The lowkey atmosphere could be complementary to a film with a more discernible plot or more interesting dialogue. Here, however, it only serves to reinforce the dullness.

Despite the title of the film, very little time is spent actually exploring the art of lying. Though the audience is clued in to the fact that Megan is a regular liar, no sense of her motivation is provided. Is she unhappy with her life? Is she seeking sympathy? She readily advises Linda to “just tell the truth” to her boyfriend, so she must understand the difference between lies and truths. So, does she lie for fun, then? I was left wondering.

Going into this film, I was so intrigued by the premise – we’re all affected by lies. I was caught up in a situation involving a lie told and was very interested in comparing my own circumstances to the characters’. I often view movies as catharctic and was looking forward to a free therapy session. The film was such a disappointment, however, I had to wonder if everyone involved had been lying about its brilliance as part of a weird promotional shtick. Surely Blash and the others could not truly believe this film was that spectacular.

Though there was great potential, the film could not live up to my high expectations. Lying is Blash’s first foray into feature film, and I can only assume things will get better from here. His first priority, however, should be surrounding himself with people who are not afraid to tell the truth about his work. Lying, after all, does no one any good.

11 Comments:

Blogger Barrett said...

i've been reading your blog every day Michelle. It is good and I'm glad you're getting to see all these films. i'm sure this trip will be one you will remember all your life.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Why don't you just become a professional film critic? It would be the perfect blend of your love for film along with your ability to write???

7:30 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Lincolnmay - I don't know if you'll check back to see if I responded to your comment or not, but I figured I would...if only for my own peace of mind.

I fully recognize the "subjective nature of film" and my subjective opinion of Lying is very low. I applaud M Blash for making a film and having it recognized in the Directors' Fortnight in Cannes. But having a film shown, well, anywhere, doesn't guarantee that it's good. And it certainly doesn't mean everyone will think it's good.

Lying was a beautiful film to watch. But it was a horrible film to try to listen to and a boring story to follow. But that's just me being subjective again.

Just to note, I saw Lying (along with 16 other films) at the Cannes Film Festival. If that's not a "place where people go and see real films," I don't know what is! I'm pretty sure it even trumps NYC.

Thanks for your comment - I do love a good debate - but you may need to look up the definition of subjective before using it again. It means I get to have my opinion (and you get to have yours) based on my own unique personal experiences.

One more thing, out of curiosity...why would being 26 and liking Aerosmith make me "clearly not well educated" or "culturally saturated"? I'm seriously interested in hearing your opinion on that, so comment again if you see this.

Thanks.

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. was looking for reviews of this film and saw this nasty post by licolnmay - whoa brother, is this the director in disguise or what? i agree with the review and actually think she was quite reserved. the film deserves the walloping it got (lincolnmay should read the Variety review if he thinks THIS is harsh. Obviously smart, experienced, worldly film critics also think this film is a waste of time.) And PLEASE explain the rationale behind praising ANY FILM that gets made in 15 days for $150,000. Big deal. So it only took him 15 days to waste $150,000 - shame really.

The real challenge in filmmaking lies in orchestrating all the creative elements into a coherent whole - like SCREENWRITING for starters. i could go on, but there is no place for ignorant, personal attacks on what is essentially a well written personal opinion about a sub-par first time film from a young director who clearly needs to developp his filmmaking skills further before attempting to blow another wad of cash over a long weekend.

5:41 AM  
Blogger louc7033@gmail.com said...

I only got interested in this film because of the actors. I love Jena malone so I'll definitely check this movie out. I enjoyed your review and didn't think it was harsh at all. After reading it, I was reminded of the "The Brown Bunny". Now that movie was really pushing it.

After reading your review I was wondering if you could review my short film. It's called "My Life In Dreams" and I'm currently entering them into film festivals. It would be nice to get some press.
I could mail it to you.

check out the trailer at
www.louiscampos.com
or
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=134814624

my email is
agentlereminder@yahoo.com

2:21 PM  
Blogger louc7033@gmail.com said...

I only got interested in this film because of the actors. I love Jena malone so I'll definitely check this movie out. I enjoyed your review and didn't think it was harsh at all. After reading it, I was reminded of the "The Brown Bunny". Now that movie was really pushing it.

After reading your review I was wondering if you could review my short film. It's called "My Life In Dreams" and I'm currently entering them into film festivals. It would be nice to get some press.
I could mail it to you.

check out the trailer at
www.louiscampos.com
or
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=134814624

my email is
agentlereminder@yahoo.com

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Linds said...

I think this is a naive view of the film 'Lying.'
Part of the value of the work is the tension that is built using silence, prolonged studies of the characters' faces, and the shakiness of the camerawork - all qualities that you critiqued negatively.
You mentioned that the characters' motives for lying should have been explained clearly. I disagree because this ambiguous representation is true to life. People are ambiguous. This gap in explanation also allows space to think - it's not a slave to the viewer, it doesn't need to hand you the plot on a categorized platter.
You also mentioned that it was boring. I think the viewer chooses if they are going to be bored or not. If you choose to activate your mind and think about the meanings of every movement, camera angle, awkward pause, it's a real exercises of the mind.
You should watch it again and consider these things.
It's a brilliant film.

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Michelle said...

Linds – Thanks for commenting. I’m glad some people like the movie. It bodes well for M Blash’s future. I didn’t say the characters’ motives for lying should have been clarified, just that they aren’t. And I wasn’t looking for the plot to be “handed to me on a categorized platter,” I was just looking for a plot at all. My mind was quite active during my viewing since I was geared up to love it. As I said, I think the movie is very beautiful to watch, but the dialogue – when I was able to hear it – did not hold my interest.

All – This review is presented – as all reviews are – as one opinion. You’re welcome to have yours, and I encourage you sharing it, but to call someone “naïve” because their opinion is different from yours is, well, naïve.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Linds said...

I called your review "naive" because you value things this filmmaker obviously doesn't, technically and in regards to scripting/plot.

This brings up the question, should you judge on the intention of the filmmaker or from your own biases?

When a review is based upon the writer's style, I think it becomes obsolete.

As a side note, it is hard to take a review seriously when something like the following is said:

"I had to wonder if everyone involved had been lying about its brilliance as part of a weird promotional shtick. Surely Blash and the others could not truly believe this film was that spectacular."

or

"His first priority, however, should be surrounding himself with people who are not afraid to tell the truth about his work. Lying, after all, does no one any good."

It sounds caddy and unprofessional, especially when you are unfamiliar with indie films.

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Michelle said...

Linds - I think you need to stop making generalizations about a person you don't know. I'm very familiar with indie films. I just didn't like this one.

The purpose of a film review (according to Roger Ebert) is to give your opinion in such a way that someone else could decide if they would enjoy the film, whether you did or not. I think I did that with this review. I obviously didn't like it and do "value things the filmmaker doesn't" (again, like being able to hear what the actors are saying...), but that doesn't make me naive, caddy, or unprofessional. It just makes me different from M Blash (and you, I guess).

I will say this, though, because you seem to be the head of his fan club - hearing him speak about the experience of the film made me excited about his aesthetic and his point of view, and even though I didn't like this particular effort, I look forward to seeing what he does in the future.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Matt Jay said...

Lying may very well be the most undeservedly disliked film ever lol.

It really is beautiful and the negative responses I've read all reflect more on the dumb downed state of today's audience, rather than the film itself.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home